Pro-neurodiversity, pro-vaccines, pro-disability rights, anti-cure.

Now Katy doesn't want to live in Smithton anymore.

Saturday, October 23, 2010

More on Autistics Speaking Day

So all things considered, my Autistics Speaking Day event on Facebook is going pretty well.  For those who didn't read my last post, this wasn't my idea, but I decided to try to publicize it by getting it on Facebook where people could spread it to all their friends.  It's been pretty damn successful.  Only 73 are attending so far, but at the moment of this writing I have 8 blogs participating and we have been written about in the Examiner.  My mother is so proud.  I'm hoping to go further with this and I'm hoping news will spread to more people.

If you know anyone who might be interested, let them know what's going on.  If you have Facebook, RSVP to the event and invite your friends.  If you would like to participate, message me on Facebook, e-mail me at kmbjornstad@gmail.com, or comment here.  I need your name (whatever you want me to put on the page; real names not necessary if you don't want to give it out) and the URL to your blog or website.  When everyone posts on November 1st, I will message everyone attending the event with links to all the blog posts.

If you have something to say to the world about your life as an autistic person/person with autism, this is your chance.  Please join us and participate, and speak out on November 1st.  Shutting down Facebook for a day won't teach anyone a thing about autism, but blogging and letting at least a few more people know what we're thinking might have some sort of effect.  Thank you in advance for your participation and/or support.

7 comments:

  1. I don't do Facebook (security and privacy concerns), but I will be tweeting links to blogs, (mine and others) that try to explain about autism to others. Twitter handle is mooncatadams. I have a Doctor's appointment midafternoon, but that's what I'll be doing on the 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great. I'm only on Facebook anymore because it helps me communicate with people. But the response has been pretty awesome so far on the Facebook page, and apparently a few people from Communication Shutdown are pissed off about what we're doing. I guess that's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added your blog to the directory and to the list of blogs for folks to go by and visit on the 1st. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if we're pissing them off, then we're doing something right :D

    And there's been so much responses!! I'm ecstatic!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's going pretty well. I think we should probably think about making a page so we can send out invites/notifications to the same people next year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used my blog to link to your fb page and a list of all the autistic bloggers on the directory. :) This is wonderful. Again-thanks.

    ReplyDelete